Manchester: £439 + VAT per day
London: £489 + VAT per day
The Level 7 PG Diploma in Prosthodontics is focused to support the development of delegates clinical knowledge and hands-on skills in dental prostheses. The qualification consists of 8 units delivered over 26 days in the form of practical sessions, lectures and demonstrations. There are 24 face-to-face days and 2 e-learning days.
The course itself provides the opportunity to increase your knowledge about key elements of Restorative Dentistry and apply these in hands-on sessions to improve your Operative Skills. It is a perfect combination of theory and practical, giving you the opportunity to learn new techniques and consequently practice them on Phantom Heads so you can return to your practice and implement them the very next day.
During the course topics covered are Occlusion, Articulators, TMJ Splints, Basic Tooth Preparations, Introduction to Endodontics & Periodontics and Treatment Planning. Within the Operative area of the course you will work with Professor Tipton’s hand-picked team of demonstrators to practice techniques related to Anterior and Posterior tooth preparation, Bonded Crowns, Ceramic Crowns, Porcelain Inlays/Onlays, Direct Composite Restorations, Gold Preparations and Bridge Preparations.
The Level 7 PG Diploma in Prosthodontics will provide the knowledge and experience you need to understand, plan and deliver varied treatment options for your patients, backed up by the technique and science behind your decision making and treatment delivery.
The course can be completed as a standard course within approximately 12 or 18 months, or as an extended course completed within approximately 18 to 36 months
A brief overview of topics covered on the 10 days is as follows, please note course day sequence might change based on the course stream you are registered on:
Unit 1: Principles of Occlusion
- Learning Outcome 1: Comprehensively evaluate and demonstrate the understanding of basic, intermediate and advanced principles of occlusion.
- Learning Outcome 2: Evaluate, select and apply appropriate occlusion techniques for manipulation of the jaw, identification of slides, managing and controlling Occlusion for a reorganised bite.
- Learning Outcome 3: Evaluate and apply appropriate techniques relating to TMJ and Splints, which splint to use when and where, management of the patient, maintenance and review.
Unit 2: Principles of Tooth Preparation
- Learning Outcome 1: Demonstrate an understanding of the main factors to be considered for use in Tooth Preparation, bur selection and dimension, preparation techniques and the science behind them, Shillingburg Preps and Magne.
- Learning Outcome 2: Critically appraise current techniques and accompanying material considerations involved with the application of porcelain veneers.
- Learning Outcome 3: Evaluate and demonstrate the techniques for the use of posts. Which Posts design, material, ferrule and managing the root filled tooth.
- Learning Outcome 4: Explain, evaluate and practice the principles of Anterior and posterior Tooth Preparation.
- Learning Outcome 5: Evaluate and apply appropriate techniques for successful Bonded Crowns.
- Learning Outcome 6: Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of adhesion composites and their application to patients.
Unit 3: Tooth Replacement for Missing Teeth and Principles of Bridge Preparations
- Learning Outcome 1: Demonstrate an understanding of Bridge Preparation Techniques and Adhesive Requirements.
- Learning Outcome 2: Analyse and Apply the Essential Techniques for Implants.
- Learning Outcome 3: Demonstrate an understanding of Bridge Preparation Techniques.
- Learning Outcome 4: Demonstrate an understanding of the principles and application of Maryland Bridges.
Unit 4: Treatment Planning and the Use of Articulators
- Learning Outcome 1: Evaluate the Treatment Planning Considerations to be made for Patients.
- Learning Outcome 2: Demonstrate understanding of the principles of articulators, types of articulators and the science behind choice of use.
Unit 5: Endodontics, Periodontics and Restoration of Endodontically Treated Teeth
- Learning Outcome 1: Evaluate the Endodontic restorative management of teeth.
- Learning Outcome 2: Demonstrate an understanding of periodontology.
- Learning Outcome 3: Critically evaluate the types of posts and cores available and apply appropriate dentistry to patients.
- Learning Outcome 4: Demonstrate an understanding of amalgams and their application with patients.
Unit 6: Principles of Ceramic Indirect Restoration
- Learning Outcome 1: Critically appraise current techniques and accompanying material considerations involved with the application of porcelain veneers.
- Learning Outcome 2: Evaluate and demonstrate the techniques for the fabrication and application of all ceramic crowns.
- Learning Outcome 3: Demonstrate an understanding of the principles essential for effective application of Porcelain Inlays/Onlays.
Unit 7: Direct Composite Restorations
- Learning Outcome 1: Demonstrate an understanding of Anterior composites as used in Restorative Dentistry.
- Learning Outcome 2: Evaluate and Apply the Essential Techniques/considerations to be used in application of posterior composites.
- Learning Outcome 3: Explain the use and demonstrate the application of Composite veneers.
Unit 8: Principles and Application of Gold Preparations
- Learning Outcome 1: Demonstrate an understanding of Gold preparations and their application.
- Learning Outcome 2: Demonstrate an understanding of Gold related Inlay /Onlay techniques.
Professor Tipton and his team of highly experienced clinicians have revolutionized the way I examine, diagnose, plan and treat my patients. I simply didn't know what I didn't know and I am now able to utilise this knowledge to greatly help my patients whilst enhancing my practice and increasing my turnover. Courses don't get better than this!
- Simon Burgess
Why should I do the PG Diploma in Prosthodontics?
The PG Diploma in Prosthodontics provides an opportunity to increase your scientific knowledge and hands-on skills. It is a perfect combination of theory and practical giving you the opportunity to learn the new techniques, practice them on Phantom Heads and eventually return to your practice and implement them straightaway. Regardless of whether you want to get into Private Dentistry or are just motivated to improving your knowledge and providing better treatments to your patients, this course will enhance your skills so you can achieve your ambitions.
What is the benefit of doing PG Diploma in Prosthodontics and not just to the PG Certificate in Restorative Dentistry and PG Certificate in Operative Dentistry?
The benefits of doing a PG Diploma when compared to doing the separate PG Certificates is firstly that you will save approximately 6% on course fees. More importantly, should you choose to do the PG Diploma in the standard format within 12 to 18 months you can also reap the advantages of improved treatment delivery earlier. You can choose any options you feel suitable as Dentology Training has a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy which will ensure that your existing education within another Dentology Training course is taken into consideration. It is important to note that every time you do a PG Diploma or a PG Certificate you must pay additional registration fees. So, should you choose to register for each course separately, you are paying 3 registrations fees. The flip side is you also get 3 certificates. It all depends on what your ambitions are.
I have done to PG Certificate in Restorative Dentistry previously can I join the PG Diploma for the Operative element?
Yes, you can. The PG Diploma in Prosthodontics contains Units covered in the PG Certificate in Restorative Dentistry and PG Certificate in Operative Dentistry. Essentially you can do the PG Diploma if you have completed any one of those courses. Dentology Training has a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy which will ensure that your existing education within another Dentology Training course is taken into consideration. Please speak to our course advisor for further details.